With the weather changing in some parts of the country it may be time to put away our sandals and visits to the beach and get our exercise at an indoor gym or pool. If you’ve ever experienced or even seen foot or toenail fungus, you know it it’s not something you want to mess around with. As the saying goes, “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” So take note of a few foot health tips to keep fungus at bay!
- Take care of your toes. Keep your toe nails short and clean. Wash your feet and in between your toes well when you shower or bathe – especially after working out or wearing open-toed shoes! Don’t pick at the skin around your nails – this gives germs easy access to a vulnerable area and puts you at risk for infection.
- Scope out your salon. If you get pedicures or massages at a salon, ensure that the place is clean and up to code. Watch to see that they sanitize all of their equipment thoroughly and don’t just jump to the next client! Not everyone knows this, but you can bring your own mani-pedi set and even nail polish to the salon for them to use.
- Keep your feet covered. While barefoot fun has it’s place, you do need to wear shoes when you’re out and about in public. This is particularly true when it comes to the gym, pools and any other public place where many people choose to go barefoot! Don’t pick up their germs – wear swim shoes and clean them well between each outing.
- Designate a pair of flip flops for the public shower.
- Change your socks regularly and keep your shoes clean. Put on a fresh pair of socks each day – more often if you’re sweating a lot. Keep your shoes clean too, since that’s the last place you want to be harboring bacteria if you’re trying to avoid foot fungus!
If you ever find yourself with an unwelcome and unsightly infection, follow these tips anyway to help it go away faster and avoid spreading it to others. Also, avoid polishes and consider using an anti-fungal foot powder to really add on the protection.
May Every Step You Take Be Healthy!